kaan

Autolevelling integration for Robo 3D R1

Hi

I'm pretty new to 3d printing, just started less then a week ago, learning the terms/methods as I go

I've noticed that the Robo 3D R1 handles the bed leveling on the software/firmware level, MatterControl is pretty bad at printing support structures, so I bought Simplify 3D, however MatterControl was able to handle the software bed auto leveling

I think the idea is to measure the z-offsets at different points and reflect those to the G-code computations

Am I right to assume that Simplify 3D doesn't do this, therefore I'm unable to print large objects with Simplify 3D? (I'm manually setting the g-code z-offset to 1,2mm, this enables me to print small objects, however at large objects, there is a 0,1mm, left-to-right level difference, which causes the nozzle to be blocked)

I'm open to any kind of advice in this matter, I'm currently going to print small disks at different intervals, like 0,9mm, 1,1mm, etc and try to manually level the print bed by putting those in-between the heated bed magnets
kaan

Re: Autolevelling integration for Robo 3D R1

I really really need this feature :)

Can't print anything larger than 5cm's in width without the auto-leveling integration, and when I print those small objects, It's mostly by first layer luck, a very thick first layer compensates the left to right Z imbalance (~1mm's)

I went back to MatterControl, observed the auto leveling integration more, works perfectly on MatterControl, full sized objects print without issues, the Z-rods move slightly while the X and Y moves (MatterControl utilizes the autoleveling of the device, it basically probes the bed at 3 points)

I've tried using the same starting G-code with Simplify3D, however it has no effect, with Simplify3D, the nozzle just carves the tape out

Are there any plans to make Simplify 3D compatible with Robo 3D R1?

I can provide more details and some links to the robo 3d forums if needed related to the issue
KeyboardWarrior

This is actually something you can place in your starting script. click Edit Process Settings, under the Scripts tab and replace the Starting script that contains

"G28"

with

G28; home X,Y,Z axis
G1 Z5 F5000; will lift Z axis by 5 mm
M565 Z-1; sets the offset for the auto-leveling mechanism by 1 mm
G29; runs auto-level
kaan

For some reason my attempts at that failed

I don't know how but with MatterControl, the starting script probes the bed at 3 points, prints flawlessly (it also uses M565 Z0 - so no manual offset necessary)

The same starting script works differently with Simplify 3D, it probes the bed at 9 points, and starts carving the tape out

I will try again but I'm not very optimistic
KeyboardWarrior

G29 is the command that will probe the 3 points in Marlin. Could you do the following, upload a G-code file made from MatterControl and also upload a G-code file made from Simplify3D with that start-script I sent you.
Randy

I will add my name to the concerned parties list here as well. My situation is exactly the same - I just got a Robo3D last week, and the auto-leveler at least was easy to use in MatterControl and looking back to why I chose to try Simplify3D, I think that my Z axis settings were probably to blame. When I fire up Simply3D my Z axis settings are completely off and I'm surprised that I have no autoleveler - will try the same thing with the macro -
BaudR8

I'm betting the usage of the bed-level is very similar, to how it's done with the PrintrBot Simple. The only difference I believe is how the firmware configuration is set up. With my PrintrBot Simple, to home the axis with Z-Probe compensation, I have this starting G-Code:

Code: Select all

G28 X0 Y0; Home X and Y Axis
G29; Use Z-Probe auto-leveler
The probes for the two machines are a bit different, from what I've seen. The printrbot auto level probe looks like:

A friend of mine with the Robo3D got an autolevel kit for his Robo3D Printer, and from what I've seen they're two mechanical endstops on each z-axis threaded rod being constantly triggered until it hits the bed causing the whole gantry to lift up and untrigger the endstops. This means that the traditional endstop logic will most likely need to be reversed, as you want the controller to read when the endstops become untriggered. If you haven't done this already, check the firmware you uploaded to the board, and make sure in the Configuration.h file
This line:

Code: Select all

const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop
is there. Traditionally it's set to true, however, in your case it should be set to false. I have yet to use matter control, so I'm not sure if they compensate for it, but I believe that's the first step to getting your Z leveler working correctly.
Last edited by BaudR8 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndersE

KeyboardWarrior wrote:G29 is the command that will probe the 3 points in Marlin. Could you do the following, upload a G-code file made from MatterControl and also upload a G-code file made from Simplify3D with that start-script I sent you.
Depends on marlin version i think. I run Magu's Marlin version for K8200 and there are options for several measuring points. 1, 3, 4 or 9 levelling points. I myself run 4 points, and it works great.
KeyboardWarrior

AndersE wrote:
KeyboardWarrior wrote:G29 is the command that will probe the 3 points in Marlin. Could you do the following, upload a G-code file made from MatterControl and also upload a G-code file made from Simplify3D with that start-script I sent you.
Depends on marlin version i think. I run Magu's Marlin version for K8200 and there are options for several measuring points. 1, 3, 4 or 9 levelling points. I myself run 4 points, and it works great.

Oh alright, but Robo 3D has their own modified version of Marlin, it's on their forums and I know that one uses the G29 command.
kaan

MatterControl: Perfect Z auto-leveling, one of my rods were out, it still managed to print the first layer in that situation, easier UI, bad machine controls, slicers are not perfect
Simplify3D: Better slicer, slight rendering issues, harder UI, better machine controls, no autoleveling for Robo 3D

I've done extensive testing with Simplify3D, just tested the starter code again, it doesn't work, it just homes the Z in the middle and starts probing 9 points, while MatterControl resets at the corner and probes at 3 corners

I've also tested the G-code of Simplify3D at MatterControl, hoping I could harness the slicer, it didn't work, the results were the same as using Simplify3D

My result is that, MatterControl uses different starting commands than advertised, it's obvious that something's happening behind the scenes, this might be it

I've also noticed that the machine control commands are also autoleveled with MatterControl, an +10X also moves the Z rods slightly (didn't test this with Simplify3D)

I will do more inspection and report the results here, try to catch something from the terminals, haven't inspected the start events yet, seems logical to do so (I will also get the G-code from MatterControl and check the commands)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”